Located in the heart of Delaware County, PA
, Tyler Arboretum is a place of natural beauty and history dating back to the time of William Penn. Today, Tyler serves the Greater Philadelphia region through horticulture, education, and the preservation of natural lands.
Tyler’s history dates to 1681, when Thomas Minshall, an English Quaker, bought property in Pennsylvania from William Penn.
Over the years it had changed hands until John J. Tyler inherits the family estate in 1914 and makes Victorian alterations to Lachford Hall and adds a new wing. By 1930, after John Tyler’s death, his wife Laura Hoopes Tyler arranged for the property to be left in trust as the John J. Tyler Arboretum. John and Laura had no children and when Laura died in 1944, the homestead became a non-for-profit public garden.